Miami Shoplifting Attorney
Choose an Experienced Theft Defense Lawyer in South Florida
If you have been arrested or charged for a shoplifting offense anywhere in Miami, Florida, you cannot take these charges lightly. Even first-time offenders who have no previous criminal record could be facing life-changing consequences.
Do not risk a permanent criminal record due to one mistake; get help from Miami Defense Attorney Michael Mirer by calling (800) 798-0243!
What is Considered Shoplifting in Florida?
Shoplifting is most often classified as petit theft in Florida, as the value of items taken typically does not exceed $300. However, if the amount shoplifted exceeds this amount, the offense can be charged as grand theft.
Although considered a lesser theft crime, shoplifting may still result in a misdemeanor or even a felony conviction on your criminal record, affecting employment and educational opportunities as well as your reputation and any career you may have been pursuing.
What are the Penalties for Shoplifting?
Shoplifting often involves retail theft. A person commits this offense when he or she intentionally takes or attempts to take merchandise without paying for it.
Depending on the value of property taken and the defendant's prior criminal record, if any, the following penalties may be implemented for a Miami, Florida shoplifting conviction:
- Second Degree Petit Theft (Shoplifting an item(s) valued at less than $100): 2nd degree misdemeanor, punishable by up to 60 days in jail.
- First Degree Petit Theft (Shoplifting an item or items valued at $100 to less than $300): 1st degree misdemeanor, punishable by up to 12 months in jail and a fine of up to $1,000.
- Grand Theft in the Third Degree (Shoplifting of an item or items valued at $300 to less than $5,000): 3rd degree felony, punishable by up to 5 years in prison and a fine of up to $5,000.
Alternative sentencing may be available to first-time offenders in some situations, although this will typically vary on a case by case basis.
Arrested for shoplifting? Get help from Attorney Michael Mirer!
It is important to take immediate action to protect your future if you are charged with shoplifting or another theft crime. By discussing your case with Miami criminal defense lawyer Michael Mirer, you can find out more about your legal rights and what options you have in fighting your charges and avoiding a conviction.
If you are interested in learning more about how an experienced Miami shoplifting attorney can help you challenge your criminal charges, call today.
Why Hire the Law Office of Michael Mirer, P.A.?
- Attorney Mirer has more than a decade of experience handling 100+ trial cases
- Attorney Mirer is a former Miami-Dade prosecutor and experienced litigator
- Attorney Mirer has the background and knowledge to offer you valid guidance and advice
- Attorney Mirer has the grit and tenacity needed for aggressive representation
Contact the Law Office of Michael Mirer, P.A. at (800) 798-0243 or fill out a free case evaluation form to get started on your defense!
No Jail Time
CHARGES CLEARED Violent Crime
CHARGES DROPPED Violent Crime
“Mr. Mirer the best attorney all around, very respectful, a humble person, open minded and well respected.” - Former Client
“They assured me they could get my case resolved and squashed... in less than a week it was done.” - Former Client
“My case is almost done and I am so happy with such a great attorney.” - Former Client